Thursday, November 07, 2013

Vegan Chocolate Brownie Cookies


I needed cookies to bring to a friend's place
on as fasting day!
I had wanted to make these cookies last year,
for St. Nicholas Day
but ran out of time/energy/health
if I remember right.
I was excited to finally make these cookies!

So little of baking powder, baking soda and salt;
lots of cocoa though!
*
Here is the recipe:

It's from the Orthodox cookbook
from Ipswich MA called
Food for Paradise
that I was given as a wedding gift last year.
*
I did not have vegan margarine so I used
vegetable shortening, much to the dismay
I'm sure of some foodie types.
So I used 1/2 cup of Crisco with 1 TBSP water
and added when all was mixed as per the recipe,
I added two 1/8th cups of water.
 
I was also making bread that day
and did not want to waste the little dough that was left
so I put it on the cookie sheet.
Sure makes a visible contrast, hey!?
It was good too, btw, that little bread muffin.
The cookie I had was still warm from the oven
with a glass of milk,
since it was not a fast day when I made it.
*
Very good,
so good that somehow the hymn
"Great Is Thy Faithfulness"
came welling inside of me;
which I think was not I hope a sacrilegious thing,
since we are talking about a cookie here,
not something of a great depth.
I rather hope it is more a song of praise because I
am well enough now to bake them.
*
Though it is also true that we must
do all for Jesus Christ,
including the baking of cookies.

3 comments:

Maureen E said...

My mom made these all the time when I was little! That definitely brings back memories. :)

GretchenJoanna said...

Your singing along with the cookie-baking seems like the Normal Christian Life to me ;-) enjoying the presence of God, Who of course is faithful, while you are doing whatever. I've had the same experience, of just doing some common everyday little thing, and it being revealed as extra blessed.

I never get tired of reading about your cooking projects - your happiness makes me happy too.

Paula said...

Now THOSE I'm going to have to try!