Friday, February 13, 2009

Small Update

I have begun work in earnest to begin learning what I need to learn. I understand why I need to learn it. It is going to be a very steep learning curve. I am going to need to work a lot. One step at a time.

I have been eating nuts at work. Need to continue considering how to best feed myself during this time. Victoria suggested spirulina*- I went to a pharmacy in search of a vitamin and discovered that spirulina is a natural food product. I asked the very professional young pharmacist about it and learned that it is blue algae and is noted for it's protein. It is comparable to dairy and beef in protein; it costs more than either of these, FYI. The pharmacist let me use the book on natural products - similar to the CPS - the blue book of drug information (Compendium of Pharmaceuticals and Specialties). I am such a librarian aren't I? ! :)

I think I am going to look into this more. If others have suggestions on things for food/energy, I would be happy to hear them!

Well. I have to work again tomorrow. Am going to a Baptism "over lunch"... a lovely young woman from my parish is being baptised at noon! As it is over the lunch hour, I can go... ! Kind of funny, but wonderful to.

I guess I am in a learning curve also to balance added studies to my work, church, Lent, and still caring for myself and my Cat.

It is going to be a lot of learning. Did I mention that I asked my patron Saint Irene a few years ago to help me grow up? This explains a lot of what is going on now.

Thanks again everyone for your comments, prayers and understanding.

*I linked to wikipedia for spirulina but please realize that as this is a vitamin/natural medicine I would never recommend Wikipedia as a final authoritative source. It is useful however for getting a good overview. It was clear from the entry itself that there may be errors in it or are conflicting information.

4 comments:

V and E said...

St. Irene Chrysovalantou?

- V.

elizabeth said...

yes. this St. Irene. how I need her prayers!

Asheya said...

Other good energy foods I've found out about recently (as a pregnant and breastfeeding mother) are ground flax seed and wheat germ. You would mix these in with things like yogurt or smoothies, or bake them into bread. Apparently they both have a lot of good fats. It's important that the flax seed is ground (you can buy it that way and it's not that expensive) otherwise the seeds will just pass through your system undigested.

elizabeth said...

thanks A - I know various people who eat flax seed; will have to see if the store near by has some pre-ground...