Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Many Blessings

Tonight I was at a friend's house;

she let me talk about that which I dreamed of doing

(i.e. writing a book,

always wanted to do this).

*

What I appreciated about this friend was not only

that she listened and supported

but did not push me overly hard about pursuing it.

*

As in I have a lot of other things that need to be tended to as well

(like finding a job so I can continue to feed and house Cleo and myself

later on this year)

but it was nice at the same time to be heard.

What a gift.

I gave Cleo a special treat on the Feast of St. Peter and Paul's

and now she is meowing her concern

and not getting treats on other non-Feast days!

Poor poor Cleo!

My St. Nicholas Icon
on my beloved Icon shelf.
*
I am so grateful that God is loving
and has provided Saints
to also pray for us.
*
Found a super cool link that all Orthodox librarians would like -
And there are some Akathists* there that I have not
seen anywhere else,
like the one to St. Sabbas the Sanctified.
*
It does not get cooler than this for us
Orthodox librarian types
who love to collect Akathists...
*
Speaking of Akathists,
I have yet to find one to my patron Saint
in English.
I know there is one in Greek
but since I don't read Greek much
(a little since I did try studying Koine Greek in University)
I really need an English translation...
Any and all help on this one is greatly welcomed!
Here is a link to the Icon of St. Irene that I have
had since I was chrismated...
really love this one and the deep colours...
*
Wishing everyone a peaceful night
and a blessed day tomorrow!
*
*when going to this link look for the AK to the right of the title for Akathists...the rest are services, not Akathists.

6 comments:

Janelle thegeekywife said...

:)

I know what you mean by having friends support but not push.

Anonymous said...

I love the tree and handkerchief in that icon! I'd never heard of this St. Irene before I started reading your blog, and she kind of makes me want to go and visit the Chrysovolantou monastery.

I think friends are better than therapy in a lot of ways when it comes to dealing with your life. With the added bonus that you can tell them to shut up if it gets too much :P

Pres. Kathy said...

What a blessing to have such a wonderful friend! Thanks for the link on the akathists. St. Irene has had a special place in my heart since I was young. My mom would subscribe to a magazine from a monastery in Greece. I loved reading it. I prayed to St. Irene during my whole pregnancy and during labor. Once my little guy was born, after a couple of months we went to her monastery i n New York so I can thank her. She is such a powerful saint. I hope you have a good day!

Mimi said...

OOooh, best wishes. I've got your back.
And, tell Cleo I feel the same way about not getting cake every day ;)

Donna Witek said...

Just popping in to say, from one Orthodox librarian to another, thank you for the link to the catalog of Akathists! How neat! (And, I had not come across this before, so thank you for being the one to point me towards it.) :)

elizabeth said...

Thanks Donna! I know it is exciting hey!! Yay for library finding discoveries!