Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Snowy Last Day Home

I was delighted to see snow this morning when I woke up!

Today has been lovely so far.

I saw my oldest friend

(I met her when she was just born

and I was all of 6 months) today;

Spent time with her kids.

We have a tradition of the younger kids doing my hair.

The just love to comb hair,

making different styles, with barrettes, pony tail holders

and the like.

Here is one of their creations

(they helped position the camera behind my head):

Too cute - ribbons, pony tails and everything!

The girl (who shares my birthday

and is newly 6 years old) was so pleased with the "buns" she

put in my hair!

Later she recited Psalm 34:8-19 from memory!

Pretty good for a just turned 6 year old!

We had a lot of fun together;

The youngest is about 2 years old and he took shy when

trying to say the name "Elizabeth" but I kept saying it slow and

soon he was saying my name all by himself!

At the end of the day the kids, my friend and I went outside

so the kids could play in the snow.

They made snow angels (below) and had me take lots of pictures of them

sledding...

Tonight family is coming over for my last dinner home.
*
I am hoping my suitcase is not too heavy :)
*
Lord willing,
I will have a bit of time to go grocery shopping
for the Christmas Eve dinner I am planning
(at least in the Slavic tradition they have a
"holy supper" on Christmas Eve).
*
I am still debating with myself on what to serve for my
Ottawa birthday party.
Originally I was thinking of doing a tea
but it is too involved for the time I have to prepare.
Any suggestions?
I want it to be a warm meal that
will not be too time consuming to prepare;
perhaps a soup and a good hot casserole
with some good bread.
Would really love your thoughts and suggestions on this! :)
*
Well, I am off to enjoy my last night home.
Please pray for my travels -
am flying tomorrow around the noon hour
to arrive God willing back in Ottawa
in the early evening.
*
God is our help and our refuge,
in Him do we trust!

15 comments:

. said...

What a fun day! I just love your hair ;) As for what to cook, are you going to be fasting come time for your party?

elizabeth said...

The fast will be over!!! (yay!) Any suggestions... ?!? :)

. said...

Maybe a pot roast in a crock-pot. That's very easy and no time or bother at all. Or a big thing of hearty chili that you could make in a crock pot. Or if you want to do a casserole route, something like a chicken taco casserole. I have several recipes...let me know if you want me to send any to you! I recently came into my grandmother's and GREAT grandmother's recipe collection so I've been having fun going through them all!

elizabeth said...

Oooo, nice! old receipes are the best! I'm having a hankering for chicken... maybe something that I can have a dough / or cheese with crushed crutons (or something) top... any suggestions?

E Helena E said...

Prayers for safe travels. It's given me joy to read about your time away.

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Safe journey, Elizabeth !
I am so happy that you have had such a wonderful time with your family :-)

ttownelizabeth said...

Praying you have a safe trip back.

Athanasia said...

Love the hair! And that you had a wonderful time with family. Safe journey home!

Matushka Anna said...

I have a super-easy chicken casserole recipe that should help with the crunchy bit too. Actually, I can list it here because it's so short:

1 chicken breast per person
8 oz. sour cream
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1-2 T. poppy seeds
1 sleeve ritz-type crackers
1/2 stick butter

Cook the chicken and cube. Mix with sour cream, soup and poppy seeds. Spread in casserole dish. Crush crackers, melt butter and mix. Sprinkle crackers over top of casserole. Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes (until hot and bubbly).

Another thing that comes to mind is bread pudding. Served warm.

Have fun!

. said...

Here's another one:
Chicken Divine/Divan Casserole

4-6 chicken breasts boiled then sliced
2 packages frozen broccoli cooked
2 cans undiluted cream of chicken soup
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 c sharp cheese grated
1 c soft buttered bread crumbs

Place ingredients in casserole in following order: broccoli, sliced chicken and then the mixture of mayonnaise, soup, lemon juice. Cover with grated cheese then the bread crumbs. Bake 30 min at 350. Serves 6.

. said...

Sorry I forgot:

Also add 1/2 teaspoon curry powder but that's optional.

:)

Martha said...

I hope all went well on your trip back home...what a lovely last day, with snow! Your hair looks so cute. You're so sweet to let them take over as hairdressers!!!

margaret said...

Lovely hair, it looks a little Edwardian.

Leek and potato soup?

Molly Sabourin said...

Safe travels, Elizabeth!! Enjoy your family and rejoice in the Feast! I hope you kept that rockin' hair-do. It's like a party in and of itself. : )

Peace and love to you!

Matushka Anna said...

I'll be on the road tomorrow so:

Christ is Born!
Glorify Him!