Sunday, October 07, 2012

Thanksgiving Weekend

 
It has been a very full weekend
thus far for my DH and I.
*
We went to a huge rummage sale on Friday
and found books, silverware and other things
for our home.
*
Today we have liturgy
and tonight are making a Thanksgiving meal
for Canadian Thanksgiving.
Chicken though, not Turkey
as it is hard to find Turkey in the States at this time of year.
*
I made my first pies.
Used store bought crusts but I do want to
learn to make pies from scratch.
I find baking really relaxing.
*
I am receiving some unexpected wedding gifts
in a week or so and my DH
valiantly went with me to a house-related store
and we got some new baking supplies for baking.
I now have a large measuring cup,
a large bowl for mixing
and other supplies.
*
I am determined to use them often and
practice hospitality...
*
Learning to do hospitality has been a great blessing for me.
*
Thinking of my dear friend who so newly
lost her father and that I cannot be with her in person.
Thanksgiving weekend with sorrow is often what
seems to be most real in this side of things.
*
May God have mercy and protect us
sorrowful and joyful alike...

4 comments:

Peacocks and Sunflowers said...

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! Do you know, I have never celebrated it here. I suppose the English tradition of Harvest Home (which I think is more or less the origin of Canadian Thanksgiving) takes its place. So glad to read about your nest-building activities - thank you for showing us glimpses of your new home and numerous icon corners! Looks so homey already. May we see a little more of your dress? Your wedding arrangements sounded so thoughtful :)

Matushka Anna said...

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! I never thought about not being able to find turkeys this time of year, lol. (c; I'm sure the chicken was great. Sometime you'll have to try making pie crust. It's not nearly as hard as you're worrying it will be. (:

Emily H. said...

Homemade pie crust is the best! I'm sure you'll do a good job - pie dough is usually pretty forgiving.

I was surprised to see a few turkeys in the stores already but I don't think the prices are very cheap.

I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving!

elizabeth said...

Anna ~ thanks! Email me and I will send you some pictures :) ~ I don't put pictures of people on my blog ~ I will have a picture of the dress itself in about a month's time...

*

Thanks everyone for your good wishes!