Friday, February 08, 2013

Baking Bread before the Blizzard and Chesterton

I woke early this morning;
troubled dream.
*
Realized that I was afraid
of something like the
super-storm drama
of this past fall.
*
Mostly,
I am afraid of losing power
as it will get cold in
Mr. Husband and I's cozy abode.
*
But after I relit my lampada,
icon candles and prayed
I began to get calm again.
*
So this morning
when I woke again
it was lightly snowing,
wet sleet snow;
now it is more a light rain with occasional hail.
It sounds nice on the windows...
*
Mr. Husband and I both have
the 'intelligent' cell phones now
and we have everything we could possibly need.
Batteries, juice, water, food of various sorts,
batteries, candles, flash lights, warm blankets.
*
If we lose power we know what to do;
lots of candles; it helps keep the living room warm;
use the gas stove (thank God for that!);
we will read more
Chesterton out loud to each other;
I can't tell you how WONDERFUL
I am finding this book; so consolatory,
so deeply vast and Christian.
*
Meanwhile,
I am baking two loaves of sour dough bread.
It is rising for first of two times right now.
*
I continue to love the stirring,
the pouring of flour;
Cleo was by my feet, hunting for fallen
flour;
she is such a funny cat;
she always wants to eat bread!

This tea towel is one that I got for my
spiritual mother's years later memorial service...
I had a few for these services and
I used them only and lovingly now
for baking bread as well...
*
Links to my past and present life;
I am grocery shopping often these days;
twice yesterday to stock up
and again this morning as I really wanted a few
more supplies for Cleo,
as some of her basic things were running low.
Have to care for her too!
While I am at the store, I listen on
headphone to my Ottawa spiritual father's sermons
on sound cloud, again and again and again....

So now I am home,
bread rising;
looking through a Lenten cookbook meanwhile
and glad that Mr. Husband is home with me
and that
God is with us,
cares for us,
does not abandon us.

I love baking bread;
Really appreciated this post by
Gretchen Joanna about sour dough
and a new blog friend
(hi! and thanks!!)
sent me really neat links about bread
here, here and here.
The last one is very beautiful...
*
I am really looking forward to trying some of
Jane's recipes,
including this one...

I love this cutting board that I have...
works so well for making bread...
Did some reading on bread cookbooks
after reading Elizabeth at the Garden Window's post
on a Bread cookbook that she loves... fun!
I've been thinking about bread since reading Kate's post
on bread and the book she uses...
*
Meanwhile,
I will do my sour dough and
keep lighting candles and hoping that
the blizzard,
which thus far is said to start about 6 pm this evening
here in my area of NJ,
does not mean a loss of power;
snow I love, it is only the power that I hope to keep on!
Especially for those with young children,
or the very old, or the poor, the homeless...
Prayers requested for all of these! 

No comments: