Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Tuesday and a Lazy Day Cherry Pie

This head cold of mine
made me glad yesterday that
all I had to do for the cherry pie
was take the two pre-made crusts out of the
freezer...

carefully made strips out of the one,
when it had thawed a bit....

While just out of the freezer I carefully
coaxed the other pie shell out of the tin and
into the glass pie pan.
*
Two cans of cherry pie made a brimmingly full
pie that I then made the lattice for.

I read up on how I did
the chicken dinner with pie 
almost a year ago
and did the same trick on the lattice this time,
as Mark Bittman suggested:
milk brushed on and then sugar sprinkled.
Makes for a quickly golden crust.

Followed the cans directions for baking.

Once the pie began to be golden
I took it out.
 
My plan is to bake it a little longer to
make it more golden,
then keep it in the warmed but no longer
baking oven until it is time to enjoy.
*
Hot cherry pie, golden, with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream.
And that is my lazy day cherry pie.
*
Speaking of ice cream,
did you know that store bought ice cream used to be more of a
novelty?... I saw this evidenced in an old children's book 
I got at a library sale in Ottawa,
where the beloved cleaning woman makes up a quick dinner
including real store bought ice cream.
I must say, I am loving every
hint of the way things were years ago
or even how they were idealized into such books
such as this pollyanna book, written in 1939 during a time of
war and rationing.
I admit that I have been enjoying this very light read
while pondering the lack of inner life evidenced...
*
I keep thinking that I will do more baking and
will learn to do a pie crust from scratch but for now,
I am grateful that I could bake something for
tonight's meal and first book club.
We are reading GK Chesterton Orthodoxy.
*
As for the which way to bake a chicken,
thanks for all your comments yesterday!
I decided that I would prepare the chickens in advance.
Mr. Husband cut the onion and garlic while I got the chicken's ready
to be stuffed with the onion and herbs,
then garlic put under the skin and buttered inside and outside
the skin and salt and peppered, with a bit of dry
summer savory.
They are small organic chickens and resting in the fridge
 until later this afternoon
when I will roast them.
*
My nose is no longer gushing forth the
 need for boxes and boxes of Kleenex!
Still stuffed up but it is a marked improvement!
I have disinfected the house once yesterday
(handy Clorox wipes) and intend on doing so again today!
I used latex gloves when baking and preparing the chicken
and am washing my hands frequently.
My goal is to have this head cold stop with me!
*
Hope to show you the meal and that the chicken's worked out perfectly...


3 comments:

Martha said...

I hope you feel better soon!

Michelle M. said...

I hope you feel better! The pie looks lovely... and tasty!

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

That pie has me craving for one right now......praying for a quick recovery for you, dear friend!