Monday, November 04, 2013

From the Weekend

I did make the hamburger
hash that I was thinking of last Thursday.

It was quite simple,
a recipe from some of my undergrad friends,
M & B who were roommates before
one and then the other found husbands and married.

It has a wonderful savory taste to it
without overwhelming the simplicity of the meal.
Here's the recipe as I had written down on a purple 3 x 5 card
that is one that has lived in my recipe box all these years:
*
Poor Man's Hamburger Hash
Hamburger and Potatoes chopped ~ to portion
Approx 1/4 cup chopped onion or 1/4 onion 
1 garlic clove, minced
Quarter Size portion of Cumin
1-2 pinches of chili flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup water
saute onion and garlic with hamburger until brown,
add potatoes and spices.  
Add water & let cook, covered for approx. 15 minutes or
until potatoes are soft.
Serve with tortillas, cornbread, etc. 
*
I did a full small onion and did cumin to taste
(probably added a little more than what was called for above,
but not so much that it overpowered the recipe).
I used red pepper flakes as I did not have chili flakes,
which I think are different....
*
It was lovely, warm and the left overs fried up wonderfully
on Saturday.
I enjoyed it with some sour cream,
Mr. Husband liked it with ketchup.
*
I used about 1/2 pound of organic hamburger beef.
Mr. Husband and I both find that eating meat, esp. beef,
in more sparing quantities it not only perfectly satisfying,
but with the maxim that there can be more when there is less
to be quite true.

We were enjoying an open window and
Cleo always loves this...

I was rather clueless in terms of oil when sold in
the large square metal jugs.
I soon learned Mr. Husband's trick of when
the oil will no longer come out,
cut the corner with a can opener
and drain the rest of the oil.
It's at least 1/4 cup more ~ see above picture.
It can easily fill a lampada or more, which means
it's at least a days worth of oil in this way.

Perhaps I was the only one that did not realize
that the lid in metal cans of oil
is meant to be raised up so that it is easy to pour?

I find it hard to do with my fingers
so I use a knife and life it holding
the two sides with the cap in between.

So much easier.
 
I baked a lot on Saturday!
I hope to tell you about these recipes over the next week!
Both involved batter and apples! :)
*
Well, this week is beginning on a Sunny note.
Brighter earlier as of the time change.
*
Mr. Husband wonderfully washed up dishes Saturday morning
after a quick breakfast while I read more of the
first Fr. Arseny book out loud.
The stories have been staying with me through out the weekend
and I hope will stay with me for years to come;
so much truth and beauty in them;
I long to have such truth seep deep, to be part of my bones.

3 comments:

Juliana said...

We used to get our oil in 5 gallon plastic jugs from Costco (about $27/jug), but since we don't have a warehouse club membership any longer (wasn't worth it for just that and Cheerios, plus having to drive such a distance just to get there), I've been getting our oil on our peapod order and the Giant brand EVOO in the 52 oz bottle is actually a great deal, even against the big metal tins or even lesser quality oil (weird...). Plus then you don't have to lug it home. :)

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

That's a great tip about the oil!

GretchenJoanna said...

The toasted sesame oil I buy comes in a can with that sort of opening, and it often takes me some time to figure it out, when I open it and decant it into a smaller bottle...