Monday, March 16, 2015

Monday, hurried Monday

A former roommate of years ago once said to me,
the only thing I need to accomplish this day is having time with God.
She later became Valedictorian so she clearly did a lot other than
her religious devotions.
 But I've never forgot her rule of thumb as it were.
*
So last weekend was busy, I made a great meal.


Hope to blog about it later;
a pasta dish with lots of garlic, veggies and for dinner, 
it was mixed with clams.
*
During Great Lent on the weekends Mr. Husband and I 
will have a lighter fast, meaning we have shell-fish for extra protein.
I love how weekends can be used to replenish and restore one,
though I find them also often quite full and busy amidst this.
But still, we had a great dish Saturday and Sunday night
we split a seafood dish are our favourite diner and 
it was really lovely.  
*
We had a date and planned our week.
How is that I am always super behind these plans?
Seriously. It all sounds so good and then well,
it never happens.
I am really not that good at self-discipline and esp. not on Monday mornings
after a very full weekend. 
I think I need to just schedule Monday mornings as that to NOT schedule. 


I made cake and cupcakes to share with my NJ far-away church family;
it was the Feast of the Cross (loved my prep for the Sunday School lesson on it).
I hope to write this week about the cake, so more on that I hope soon!


The reason I failed on my morning plans:
So NJ a few years ago had a huge bed bug problem;
actually when I was in NYC last week I saw one half of a bed frame
on the side of the road for trash and in white was written 'bed bugs' 
and a month or so back down my street I saw a truck that
advertised exterminator services, including bed bugs.
So needless to say, we freeze for 4 days any used books that come in our house
from this area of the world and I just took out my
Strand Books.
They are all put away now and I read a bit more in the book
by Molly and am processing her very different life;
I forget so quickly how different those who are basically secular live
and it takes me a while [to process]...
Anyway, I am writing up thoughts as I read her book and think on things.
I may not pick this book up again though till after Great Lent
as I only have a few weeks left and need to do some more 
focused Lenten reading.
*
I am thinking of the first prayer book I had and 
that it had the 
They are really good prayers.
Very concise Christian Lenten Meditative Prayers.
Good to take note of on this busy Monday...


10 comments:

Lisa said...

That prayer pretty well sums up everything important; I feel the same way about St. Patrick's famous prayer, and some prayers of St. Anselm I've read: the saints from those hundreds of years ago expressed their prayers very clearly - no flowery language for them! I like it.

MamaBirdEmma said...

Those cupcakes look delish!!

elizabeth said...

Mamabird Emma, they should, I used the recipe you posted recently!! :)

Lisa, yes, I totally agree; and we are so blessed to have these prayers!

Rosemary said...

Oh that pasta dish looks delicious! And the cupcakes. :)

I didn't know that the writer of Orangette had written a book. I don't regularly follow her blog, but I use some of her recipes quite regularly. :)

Rosemary said...

I just realized I have her book on my to-read list! I didn't make the connection between it and the blog.

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Cupcakes and books :-)
I did not realise there was such a problem with bedbugs - freezing the books seems eminently sensible, but how do you thaw them out without ruining them?

elizabeth said...

Oct. Rose ~ would love to know what recipes you use of hers!

Elizabeth ~ the books are fine when they come out - I really don't have to do a thing to them. I would not do this of course to hugely valuable books...

GretchenJoanna said...

Thank you for posting those prayers - I think I may have them somewhere else, hard to find! so I will print yours, because I need something like this right now.

GretchenJoanna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
karen said...

cupcakes look fantastic, and I have never thought to freeze books because of bugs, great idea though. Love that noodly dish!