Wednesday, August 12, 2015

The Young Unicorns + Grand Duchess Elizabeth of Russia


We've not been on the road
much these last weeks,
so knitting is still
the lovely white wash clothes.
*
Re-read L'Engle's The Young Unicorns.
Loved it as usual; it's one of my all-time favourites of hers. 
What hit me a lot this time
is what Vicky is supposed to be learning: 
it's OK to just be Vicky, as in herself,
she does not need a fancy title/profession/beauty 
to have purpose.
Her purpose is to be herself.
*
I've been thinking a lot over the last many months about
what my life is about.
It's quite different than when I was in Ottawa and single.
*
So I found this book really helpful.
*
I am about halfway through 
Saint Elizabeth the New Martyr is a favourite Saint
of many people, including those like myself
joined the Orthodox Church as an adult.
as Saint Elizabeth made the same decision...
*
She is another example of how the upper classes, some of them at least,
noblesse oblige, as my husband will say...
She was raised in a home that was deeply Christian 
and her growth as an adult in her Christian life is
astounding....
*
I am comforted at how she, like many Saints,
did not require the sisters under her charge
to have the same incredible austerity that she practiced.
Between being married and continuing to
seek to be open to who I am at this point,
I am very glad that Orthodoxy, and indeed
Christianity at large, has room for those
who labour at a weaker strength...
*
 I hope to get back to my second many coloured blanket soon!
*
What are you reading and creating? 
Yarn Along with us! 


5 comments:

Amy said...

I really liked the St Elizabeth book as well! One of the highlights of our trip was visiting the St Mary and Martha convent and praying there. The nuns are still very active feeding the hungry and caring for disabled children etc.

karen said...

I find saints and their life stories fascinating and motivating for me. I love knowing when they've been challenged in life or in their faith and have risen to the challenge. Looks like a good read!

elizabeth said...

Amy, that's so special!! What a blessing!

Karen - yes, they really are! It is a good read!

Rosemary said...

I've never read that series by L'Engle. Do you recommend starting at the beginning?

elizabeth said...

Hi Oct Rose,

That's a hard call. They can all stand alone but of course reading in order has some advantages. I think you can indeed read The Young Unicorns on it's own if that's what you want to do. It's the only book where they are in NYC and stands alone in that way....