Monday, June 20, 2016

A lot in just a few days


































A week ago, we went to a dear soon to be fully adopted daughter's baptism.  I had not been to a baptism at a Catholic church before. It was beautiful.  The smell of the chrism was esp strong and so beautiful - a scent from the heavens.  This young little one is a real lovely girl and I really saw a change in her after the baptismal service - not in energy of a 3 year old for doing everything at once - but in beauty.  Every time I see her now, she looks more feminine, more beautiful, a real change but not one that could be easily explained to others I think.  But quite real nonetheless.

This past Saturday we had a small party for her, to welcome her to our lives.  It was a very simple relaxed affair and the little one did so well.  

Because of a very busy week, I was not able to prepare anything before the day of.  Thankfully the frozen crepes, store bought, were wonderful, the cream cheese with heavy cream and powdered sugar for the wrapped crepes went well (I forgot to have the cream cheese sit out first and it was a bit lumpy).  The egg bake was very simple - a friend suggested it on FB - all I did was shred some cheddar cheese, put in cut up pre-browned organic sausage, mix up 12 extra-large organic eggs, pour on top and then add more shredded cheese.  Used one small block of store bought organic cheese for this.  It was a hot day, so no one wanted hot tea and water and OJ were what we enjoyed.  A cold no-bake chocolate cheesecake bars, a fruit salad and brie with crackers also were enjoyed.  Oh and hot tater tots :)  and a small bowl of ketchup! I feel like I am slowly learning hostess ‘tricks’ like what meals are easy to make the day of and still have the results be worthy of the dinner or brunch one is hosting.  

The day before I had ‘kid-proofed’ the area, as the little one is 3 and a very busy little girl.  It went really well.  We also watched Matuska’s grandson run really hard race on her ipod. The little girl learned the word 'championship' and decided that to say it one must jump and raise both arms, saying 'Championship!' :) It was relaxed and an enjoyable time.

I think all of us have really busy lives and enjoyed just being together to talk and visit.  The little one loved her gifts, I gave her Jane’s When God Made You.  

After vespers, we went to the diner; I had half of a big Caesar salad (picture of me with salad by Mr Husband) and a milk shake. :) ... Husband earlier brought me home 3 red roses and we sent off our first of, we hope, many letters to the Munchkin for his second summer overseas.

We also had Pentecost and I really enjoyed listening to this sermon later, was I was putting together Mr. Husband and I’s dinner.  

I am still pondering the sermon; it is so true, we are all thirsty for God’s Spirit and try so many ways to fill the thirst.  I talked briefly with my nearby priest about how hard it is for us to open our hearts to let God in and let the Holy Spirit increase in us.  

I am working a lot on Sunday School these days - printing all the lessons of the last 2 years, seeing where the gaps are and thinking about things to teach next year on the Holy Liturgy and about personal prayer at times that the children are not aware of the need for.  One thing I talked to a few of them about yesterday was about praying before one has Holy Communion and doing simple prayers while waiting in line.  It’s a challenge for all of us who are Orthodox (or in a Christian church where the Eucharist is offered) to focus on meeting Christ in a very profound way through Holy Communion.  To live with a sense of holy anticipation and expectation, to grow in prayer.

I am reading a wonderful book on prayer by Fr. Alexander Men; and am re-reading for the 10th+ time L’ Engle’s Swiftly Tilting Planet and feel like I am just getting in a deeper way, or the next layer of it, of how one of the points of the book is to ponder letting our lives not be in our complete control and, in one way of saying it, to relax; to see that God is steady and still in control, no matter how things in our personal lives or on our world that we all share seem to be often careening off it’s axis. I love so much of what L’ Engle has to say and this is one of my favourite books of hers.

Well, today includes the change of table clothes (white and green for Pentecost), paperwork and I hope more Sunday School work.  I was thrilled to hear that my now 4 year old godson still loves Thomas the Tank Engine.  I am really hoping to finish his quilt soon.  I dream of being able to give it to him in person!

ps: a friend sent this lovely video with the main prayer for Pentecost in many languages, it's lovely!

7 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Elizabeth! It's always a pleasure to read them and ponder. I'm glad the party went well.

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Elizabeth! It's always a pleasure to read them and ponder. I'm glad the party went well.

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

God bless the newly-baptized little girl :-)

I have to say that I have never before seen a pot of cream photographed so beautifully!

Lisa Richards said...

What an interesting stack of books! I've written down the titles to look them up on Amazon. :) I read "Facing East" by Frederica Mathewes-Green, a couple of times and loved it. I've read Elizabeth Goudge's autobiography. I assume "Beyond the Snow"
is a biography about her? Love Madeleine L'Engle as well. They all sound interesting!

Emmie said...

I always love seeing your food pictures! And your book choices are always inspiring as well. I loved FMG's Intro to the Church and lent it to someone who was interested in finding out more. She loved it as well. I am going to look into Dinner with Edward for my next non mystery fiction read:)

Heather LeFebvre said...

Fun to see pictures from your life! So Munchkin spends his summers overseas...glad you could send him off feeling loved with the things you made and prepared.

karen said...

your gathering with friends and their daughter sounds relaxing and wonderful. We have dear friends and over the years we have watched our children grow up and become adults. Their youngest is now 17 yo but I remember when she was three and climbing into my lap....such sweet memories. She is a lovely young lady.