Tuesday, November 22, 2016

A Busy Baking Monday ~ sour cream cinnamon coffee cake + sour cream, yogurt double chocolate coffee cake











So, I made both recipes yesterday, posted above.
The cinnamon coffee cake with sour cream is lovely and light.
It's just right.
***
The chocolate one though I made into a double chocolate cake.
I added cocoa to the batter, 1/2 cup like in Smitten Kitchen's
double chocolate banana bread, which I was thinking of when
making this recipe,
plus substituted yogurt for 1\2 the sour cream in a doubled version of the batter,
with keeping the topping to about the recipe's proportion for the original (non-doubled) recipe 
***
it's a thick heavy batter, it's a really good deep moist chocolate cake; intense;
what I wanted in a chocolate coffee cake that has both sour cream and yogurt.
The topping I want to re-do; it's just too sugary.
It's still good.
Don't get me wrong. It's GOOD.
Just learning and it was the first time I really transformed a baking recipe
into my own, that I can remember; though I think I have done it before,
adapting a baking recipe....
***
Some notes:
for the frosting this is what I did:
1/2 cup flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
heaping 1/2 tbs of cocoa
1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp in batter also...
***
So, it's good and the cake itself is on the deep not as sweet side.
With milk, it's a perfect ride.
***
(Also, I froze most of these, I am doing my first bit of
pre-Christmas gift baking here folks!)
***
When I was not baking, I was reading a book I'd had for a few months
but had not read yet. Until this week when I read it all in 2 days.
Yep. Hurried review coming soon!

1 comment:

Paula said...

mmm, the sound delicious!