Saturday, August 19, 2017

Today, the feast of Transfiguration of the Lord


















We went to the new calendar feast of Transfiguration 13 days ago
but are still fasting on the old calendar so today is the feast
and so I made fish and used more of our beautiful dishes,
ones I had not used since my injury.
I am still learning about my injury and I can see that
it is going to take some months yet to heal.
I am living very much in Elizabeth Goudge books and am 
now on the last book of the Eliot Trilogy 
(Bird in the Tree, Herb of Grace/Pilgrims Inn, The Heart of the Family)
and I really don't want to leave.
It's funny, it's so clear that the two wars were so deeply felt
at the time and yet Elizabeth Goudge creates worlds in her
fiction to heal the physical, mental illness and exhaustion
and creates such places that I, and I think many others,
do not want to leave... it's remarkable. 
***
 So, our groceries were delivered and I opened the first box
and all I could see was Romaine Lettuce.
I opened the second box, more lettuce!
Husband asks, did you get the wrong order?
I don't know, I say, and look up the email and see that somehow
on our order was not 2 lettuces but 13.
We are good customers and they are refunding us; no idea how that happened
but we are now giving away lettuce to others and somehow God
gave us something to give to others on this Feast day,
even though we were unable to go to liturgy for it 
(a first really it seems, though it's possible I worked on it years ago; 
hard to say)... 
***
We've had some good days.  
I've had some poor sleeps and was quite tired as a result.
Today was a bit more of a pain-and-swelling day.
But I am loving living in Elizabeth Goudge's books
and am doing my best to maintain peace in our home
and inwardly...
***
We are talking to my parents about them visiting us 
sometime this fall.
My healing is taking a lot longer than I expected.
In all things, I know, I need to trust God....
He is our peace...

6 comments:

Rachel said...

I hope you continue to heal, and more quickly. I also hope you're able to get some better sleep. as that can effect the whole day! Thirteen lettuces, that made me laugh! How lovely that you were able to share it. I love your altar. I am hoping to establish a similar one in my new home, but haven't found the right place quite yet.

Mat. Anna said...

My goodness! That's a lot of lettuce! 😄

I love seeing your blue willow dishes; out everyday China is the same. ❤️

Joyous Feast to you!

Mat. Anna said...

*our

karen said...

that's a lot of lettuce you got there :) I hope you continue to heal and see progress. I bet if your family came that would make the healing feel lots faster.

elizabeth said...

Rachel ~ I hope you find the prefect place for your home altar too!

Thanks Mat Anna ~ yes, neat that we have some of the same dishes!!!

Karen ~ yes - funny hey? ~ thanks for your good wishes!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

EG's books are a good place to live, when you can get away with it.

I wondered what you were doing with so much lettuce for just two people!

Your salmon looks delicious.