Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Wednesday, a quiet wonder












Today was the first day of real quiet,
well, quiet for us anyway.
Dishes got done, laundry did not (that laundry I tell you!),
I finally got my twinkle lights back up;
I made lunch with my kitchen twinkle lights shining
and fried up 2 veggie burgers (Marsala) that smelled just right and made
me so happy to be back in the kitchen.
I went to PT, new exercises; I still have a ways to go....
We had tea and (vegan) treats when we returned;
I struggle to know or have desire to eat fasting food sometimes,
and so I had breakfast food for dinner, one of my favourites,
a good English muffin with that hint of salt and great texture and substance,
natural PB and slices of banana. 
My Husband teased me about "needing 7 candles" to eat my simple dinner by.
I told him about Elizabeth Goudge's Lucilla eating simple dinners
after WWII, still in proper dress and with good China dishes, and how
Jan Karon's Miss Sadie loved PB & J sandwiches and she was rich.
So it was that our meal passed and we talked to my folks quick as well
and prayers were said, a bath done, a few moments of panic about piles of laundry, 
a heavy heart about so many people's struggles and grief,
and reading about Ree here, and 2 recipes that look delicious (here and here).
I've had my diffusers with calming scents going today.
For the most part I have been calmer today,
yesterday I felt a bit bowled over at times.  NYC is intense, life is this 
so often now.... but... so much to be thankful for.
Our home is coming together.
Mr Husband put up shelves inside the bookshelves that my Dad
put up last week; my love also put up Dutch Delft tiles in the hallway,
put up the last 2 Christmas plates above our bay window,
moving the Holy Family plate to where I can see it when
on the couch (I am a maximalist and love seeing icons or at least
religious pictures in my house every where I look... I realized years ago that
when I am looking round at things in my home I am looking for
comfort, for a sense of help. I look with an expectation to see something
that gives me hope)...
I am most definitely a beauty-and-order-soothes-the-soul person...
Here's to hoping that tomorrow is peaceful for all of us...
  

2 comments:

Mat. Anna said...

Big (((hugs))).

(And don't forget that Miss Sadie would expect you to take the crusts off the PBJs before serving them. Or at least Louella would. 😉)

elizabeth said...

Thank you!

Yes!!! I did think about the crusts needing to be off before serving! Louella is a TREASURE!!! :)