Saturday, December 02, 2017

Friday and Saturday, with blessings















Friday I baked little 
So I don't forget, I am going to tell you what I did 
differently with this recipe. 
First, while I did find recipes with the same proportions
for sour cream pound cakes, including this cookbook on the South,
I did not want 3 cups of sugar. 
For the first batch I went with 2 cups white sugar and halved the eggs (3 instead of 6). 
Based on a crumb taste, it is fine, a bit actually too sweet for what I wanted. 
Second batch (pictured here), I doubled sour cream to 1 cup, did all 6 eggs, 
did 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1 cup white sugar.
 Based on a quick batter test, it is less sweet for sure. 
However, I think with a nice glaze (I am thinking that doing sugar glaze with
 OJ or lemon juice and a dusting of cardamon could work really well) that it will
 be sweet enough! I am going to freeze them without glaze 
however and do the glaze, I hope, later! :)
***
Friday was a baking day, I made 8 mini bundt cakes, 1 mini loaf; 
one I gave away today to a quilt guild friend and one more I hope to 
give away soon and the rest freeze.
***
I chopped 3 cups candied ginger for DV future Christmas Chai tea.
I am also hoping to make some other kinds of tea
and was inspired to make a simple cardamon tea as well...
***
Today I went to quilt guild, first time this year!
We went out for lunch also and that was really nice!
And I got a few more Christmas gifts at a craft show afterwards...
***
I came home and Mr Husband had gotten the mail...
I got a lovely card and beautiful St Nicholas icon!
Thank you so much Pat, what a treasure!!!
it was wonderful to get such a reminder of St Nicholas care
for us, he is such a special Saint and I was actually
chrismated in a beautiful church named for him!
***
We went to vespers tonight and that was really nice!
The Cross on the top of the iconostasis got all new lights
and the chandelier got some too. 
So beautiful! 
***
Well, I am continuing to seek to pray that I
do what I need to do today and let God take care of the rest.
I am also reading a vintage book on St Herman that we got in Holland,
and I am really really enjoying this.  
St Herman is one of my special "Daddy but super Holy" Saints and the
first Saint I ever connected with... 
So this has been really encouraging reading.
***
Well, if I can, I am hoping to bake again this Tuesday.
We have a beautiful icon of St Nicholas at our local church,
I always go this icon with a thick candle and I do admit that 
I asked his blessing on my cookie baking for his day. 
I have asked for much bigger things in times of need before,
and St Nicholas has provided for me many times when I was in trouble.
And also he was the one I was told to ask for his prayers for a 
Husband and I sure do have a wonderful Husband now!
Anyway, years ago I also asked his help as a new wife
to find something for the first holiday party of my Husband's work
that I would go to and that was lovingly ansewred
so I know that I can ask for big and small things,
especially if they are in part for others too.
***
Well, I thank God for all of His blessings and pray
that no matter where you find yourself today,
that you will be blessed with 
health and salvation above all! 

3 comments:

Patricia & Fouad said...

Your cakes came out beautiful. Makes me hungry. You are such an accomplished baker! Happy to hear your package arrived. Have a wonderful week dear Elizabeth. Pat xx

Patricia & Fouad said...

Sorry, I see that I'm signed into my other account...this is Pat from Lilly My Cat blog....

Lisa Richards said...

Those mini bundt cakes are so cute! You're a much more knowledgeable baker than I am. I hope all of your baking turns out great! :)